Eating Right for Orthopedic Health
If arthritis runs in your family, or if you’ve just noticed a bit more creaking and cracking lately as you move around, you may be wondering about the health of your joints, bones, and muscles. You may also wonder what you can do to make sure these vital parts of your body will work properly for a very long time. The good news is that there are a lot of delicious foods you can indulge in to stay healthy!
Foods to eat more of
These kinds of foods can improve your orthopedic health:
• Fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as halibut, trout, sardines, salmon, and tuna, can help to prevent joint inflammation. Canned salmon with bones also has a lot of calcium and vitamin D, which are beneficial to bones, too.
• Nuts are also high in omega-3 fatty acids. Snack on some pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds.
• Beans have protein and fiber as well as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to help with joint inflammation. Try pinto beans, black beans, and chickpeas.
• Fruits and vegetables have so many benefits, and you should try to fit as many as possible into your meals and snacks throughout the day. For healthy bones and joints, concentrate on cherries, red peppers, and kale.
• Root vegetables, such as ginger, onions, garlic, and turmeric, can help relieve pain from arthritis and other joint problems.
• Dark chocolate has inflammatory properties, too, for those of you who aren’t excited about fish and kale! The more cocoa there is, the more it helps. Go for chocolate with at least 70% cocoa in it.
Foods to avoid
There are also some foods to stay away from to ensure better orthopedic health. Sugar, omega-6 fatty acids (found in corn, peanut, and vegetable oil), foods with gluten, foods high in saturated fats, and an excessive amount of alcohol should all be avoided because they can make joint and muscle pain and inflammation worse.
Eating right is an easy way to take care of your health. However, if you find yourself with aching joints, muscles, and bones, you can count on Specialty Orthopaedics in Harrison, New York to help. Call at 914-686-0111 today!