Cervical Fusion Surgeon in Westchester County
What is anterior cervical fusion?
Over time, your body goes through natural aging processes, including degenerative changes in the spine known as degenerative disc disease (DDD). DDD can disrupt the discs found in your cervical spine, which is located in your neck. Your cervical spinal discs add comfort and support between the bones that make up your neck, and when they are damaged due to the aging process, it can result in chronic neck pain and immobility. Cervical fusion is a procedure that joins two vertebrae in your neck to prevent the friction between them. The surgery can help a patient overcome long-term neck pain and return to a pain-free life. Our cervical spine surgeons at Specialty Orthopaedics are highly experienced in spinal fusion surgery and can help you overcome your neck pain using innovative techniques and procedures.
Why is anterior cervical fusion used?
Cervical fusion is used to address any of the following cervical spine/neck problems:
- Degenerative disc disease (DDD)
- Herniated disc
- Cervical stenosis/spinal stenosis
- Neck fractures
What does anterior cervical fusion involve?
At Specialty Orthopaedics, we take the time to address any of your concerns or questions prior to your operation. We will walk you through the entire procedure so you are knowledgeable about what to expect on the day of your cervical fusion surgery. In general, you can expect the following:
- Your surgeon makes an incision to access the cervical spine.
- The muscles and other internal structures surrounding your spine are moved to the side so your spine is visible.
- The damaged disc between your spine bones is removed.
- The two cervical bones are connected to prevent them from rubbing against one another, which causes your neck pain.
- Your surgeon carefully closes the incision.
Soon after your procedure, you’ll have a follow-up visit with one of our orthopedic specialists. We’ll spend time with you going over your recovery plan and coordinating any additional care you may need to ensure a speedy and safe recovery.
What are the benefits of having anterior cervical fusion surgery?
Choosing to entrust our cervical spine surgeons at Specialty Orthopaedics with your cervical fusion surgery can offer you the following benefits:
- Chronic neck pain relief
- Experienced and caring neck surgeons
- Evidence-based orthopedic techniques
- Performed at some of the best orthopedic hospitals in the country
If you are interested in anterior cervical fusion surgery, visit Specialty Orthopaedics. Our New York orthopedic practice is home to a team of fellowship-trained orthopedists in a variety of specialty areas. We offer comprehensive treatment for musculoskeletal disorders in a caring and responsive clinical atmosphere. Give us a call at 914.686.0111 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your appointment today.