Shoulder Arthritis Doctor in Westchester County
What is shoulder arthritis?
Shoulder arthritis occurs when the cartilage that surrounds your joint, which keeps the shoulder moving smoothly, becomes worn out over time or due to injury. The wearing can eventually lead to bone-on-bone rubbing. This can be incredibly painful and eventually prevent you from using your shoulder as you normally would.
There are three different types of shoulder arthritis, which include:
- Osteoarthritis of the shoulder – most common form that results from the body’s natural aging process
- Post-traumatic arthritis of the shoulder – can occur after several past shoulder injuries
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the shoulder – rare immune system dysfunction that wears away shoulder cartilage
What causes shoulder arthritis?
Shoulder arthritis is caused by the wearing down of cartilage which helps protect and cushion the bones that make up your shoulder joint. Some things that cause this cartilage to wear down include:
- Normal wear and tear as you age
- Traumatic shoulder injuries
- Excessive stress on the shoulder joint
- Sports that overuse the shoulder
- Improper shoulder joint development
- Genetic defects in shoulder cartilage
What are the symptoms of shoulder arthritis?
Visit one of our orthopedic experts at Specialty Orthopaedics for an evaluation if you experience any of the below symptoms of shoulder arthritis:
- Shoulder pain
- Shoulder swelling
- Shoulder immobility
- Inability to participate in activities involving shoulder use
- Shoulder pain when raising arm or reaching up
- Clicking noises in shoulder, especially when raising arm
How is shoulder arthritis diagnosed?
Our orthopedic physicians in NY have years of experience evaluating and diagnosing the full range of shoulder conditions, including shoulder arthritis. Our approach to your health is personal, so we take our time getting to know your past medical history and understanding all of your current symptoms and concerns before making our diagnosis for your shoulder issue. Often, we are able to make an accurate diagnosis for shoulder arthritis by examining your shoulder and discussing your symptoms with you. However, to determine the extent of arthritis damage to your shoulder, we may recommend imaging tests, including:
- CT scans
- MRI scans
How is shoulder arthritis treated?
At Specialty Orthopaedics, our team is dedicated to providing you with a comprehensive treatment plan that meets your needs and addresses your concerns while using the least invasive techniques. Whenever possible, we recommend conservative treatment options for shoulder arthritis, including:
- Resting the affected arm and shoulder
- Using heat or ice therapy
- Pain medications
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Lifestyle modifications
- Steroid shoulder injections
When necessary, our orthopedic surgeons are experienced in the latest shoulder arthritis surgeries to restore your joint and enable you to move the shoulder more freely. These surgical options may include:
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Rotator cuff repair
- Reverse shoulder replacement surgery
Contact us today
If you are experiencing symptoms of shoulder arthritis, visit Specialty Orthopaedics. Our New York orthopedic practice is home to a team of fellowship-trained orthopedists in a variety of orthopedic specialty areas. We offer comprehensive treatment for musculoskeletal disorders in a caring and responsive clinical atmosphere. Give us a call at 914.686.0111 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your appointment today.