Carpal Tunnel Doctor in Westchester County
What is carpal tunnel syndrome?
The carpal tunnel refers to a small, tunnel-like space in your wrist, which an important nerve and several tendons of your forearm and hand travel through. Sometimes, swelling can occur in this area, limiting the space through which this nerve and tendons can pass. This can cause serious pain and even limit your ability to use your hand as you normally would. An experienced orthopedic physician at Specialty Orthopaedics can address carpal tunnel syndrome and give you the best treatment options to get you back to using your hands and fingers with full function.
What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel is a common condition, especially among those who perform wrist motions that are repetitive. In many cases, carpal tunnel syndrome is linked to one of the following physical movements:
- Computer work – often seen in patients with jobs that require long periods of typing or computer use
- Gripping tightly – common among those who participate in activities like cycling, tennis, or occupations such as carpentry or construction work
- Repetitive wrist movements – often occurs in people who participate in activities or have occupations that require the same hand and wrist motions over and over, like playing an instrument or painting
What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?
If you experience any of the below symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, schedule an appointment with our hand and wrist specialist at Specialty Orthopaedics for an evaluation, diagnosis, and proper treatment to avoid any complications or prolonged discomfort:
- Pain in the hand or fingers
- Shooting pains
- Night time waking due to hand pain or cramping
- Difficulty moving fingers
- Feeling of swelling in the hand (even if there is no visible swelling)
- Weakened grip
- Trouble holding or picking up small objects
What People Say About Us!
” AMAZING!! Everyone is there for you. Excellent patient care “
Click here to read more reviews.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosed?
Our carpal tunnel doctors at Specialty Orthopaedics have years of experience using evidence-based approaches to diagnosing and treating carpal tunnel. We will ask you a number of specific questions related to your symptoms and listen closely to your feedback and concerns. We will also conduct a thorough physical examination of your hand, wrist and elbow, including special tests to make an accurate diagnosis. Often, we will obtain a nerve conduction study to confirm the diagnosis, and help guide our custom treatment strategy, tailored to each individual patient.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome treated?
Our doctors make every effort to treat your carpal tunnel syndrome using the least invasive approach when possible. Conservative approaches that may be recommended by one of our physicians include:
- Braces or splints to immobilize your wrist
- Lifestyle adjustments
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Steroid injections
When necessary, we may also recommend carpal tunnel surgery to take pressure off of the nerve being compressed in the wrist and allow for the relief of symptoms.
Schedule a Carpal Tunnel Consultation
If you are experiencing symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, visit Specialty Orthopaedics. Our New York orthopedic practice is home to a team of fellowship-trained orthopedists in a variety of orthopedic specialty areas. We offer comprehensive treatment for musculoskeletal disorders in a caring and responsive clinical atmosphere. Give us a call at 914.686.0111 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your appointment today.