Lumbar Discectomy & Fusion Surgeon in New York
What is lumbar discectomy fusion?
Your lumbar spine refers to the lower portion of your spine. Between each of your spine bones (vertebra) is a small, flexible cushion known as a disc. When one of your discs is damaged or wears out over time due to degenerative disc disease (DDD), you may experience lower back pain. This is because the disc is no longer keeping the bones from rubbing against one another when you move. Lumbar discectomy and fusion is an advanced procedure performed at Specialty Orthopaedics that removes the damaged disc and fuses your spinal bones together to prevent friction and pain.
Why is lumbar discectomy fusion used?
When conservative treatments do not alleviate your pain, lumbar discectomy and fusion may be recommended. The procedure can often resolve any of the following conditions that cause lower back pain:
- Degenerative disc disease (DDD)
- Herniated discs
- Lumbar stenosis/spinal stenosis
- Back fractures
What does lumbar discectomy fusion involve?
Before undergoing spinal surgery, it’s important to us that you have a clear understanding of the entire procedure and what you can expect on the day of surgery. We will spend time discussing the details of your surgery with you and answer any questions or concerns that you may have. In general, you can expect the following on the day of your lumbar fusion surgery:
- Your surgeon makes an incision to access your lumbar spine.
- Any muscles and surrounding tissues are gently moved to the side to give your surgeon a full view of your lumbar spine.
- The damaged disc is removed.
- The two vertebrae surrounding the damaged disc are fused together to prevent them from rubbing, which is causing your lower back pain.
- Your muscle and tissues are gently put back in place and your incision is carefully closed.
Following any surgery with Specialty Orthopaedics, you’ll visit with us for a follow-up discussion to go over your recovery plan and specific steps you should take to ensure a full, safe recovery.
What are the benefits of having lumbar discectomy fusion surgery?
The benefits of undergoing lumbar discectomy and fusion surgery with one of our skilled New York orthopedic surgeons include the following:
- Chronic lower back pain relief
- Restored range of motion in the lower back
- Experienced and caring neck surgeons
- Evidence-based orthopedic techniques
- Performed at some of the best orthopedic hospitals in the country
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in lumbar discectomy fusion surgery, visit Specialty Orthopaedics. Our New York orthopedic practice is home to a team of fellowship-trained orthopedists in a variety of specialty areas. We offer comprehensive treatment for musculoskeletal disorders in a caring and responsive clinical atmosphere. Give us a call at 914.686.0111 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your appointment today.