Knee Revision Surgery in Westchester County
What is knee revision surgery?
A knee revision, also called revision total knee replacement, is a reoperation of a total knee replacement (TKR). This reoperation may involve a partial or a complete exchange of the prostheses that were implanted during the original TKR surgery. Some patients may only need to have their existing implants and underlying bone surfaces cleaned out and refixated, rather than replaced.
Who needs knee revision surgery?
In about 85% to 90% of people who get a TKR, the artificial implants last for 15 to 30 years. This means that for elderly people, they may last for life. But in younger patients, especially those who maintain an active lifestyle, TKR prostheses may eventually fail, requiring another replacement later in life.
What are the reasons for undergoing knee revision surgery?
The most common reasons for knee revision are:
- Loosening of one or more prostheses due to friction over time
- Wear and tear, including loosening or breakage of prosthesis components
- Infection, while the risk of infection from a TKR is less than 1%, when infections do occur, a knee revision of one kind or another is necessary
What are the benefits of having knee revision surgery?
The advantages of choosing to undergo knee revision surgery with one of our qualified surgeons at Specialty Orthopaedics include the following:
- Proven outcomes and metrics – Dr. Zelicof has been recognized by New York Magazine, Westchester Magazine and Castle Connolly Top Doctors in America for over 25 years
- Our Joint Solutions program was the first in Westchester to be recognized and reaccredited three times by the Joint Commission with Gold Seals in Hip and Knee Replacement
- Access to experienced and caring fellowship-trained, university-affiliated surgeons
- A commitment to evidence-based orthopedic techniques, advanced minimally invasive approaches and pain management techniques
- Surgery performed at some of the best orthopedic hospitals in the country
- When considering revision joint replacement surgery, trust your hip or knee to someone who treats other physicians and healthcare professionals
Your joint is special… Come to Specialty Orthopaedics for your care!
If you are interested in knee revision surgery, visit Specialty Orthopaedics. Our New York orthopedic practice is home to a team of fellowship-trained orthopedists in a variety of specialty areas. We offer comprehensive treatment for musculoskeletal disorders in a caring and responsive clinical atmosphere. Give us a call at 914.686.0111 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your appointment today.