The Many Benefits of Walking
You may think that to get any benefit from exercise you have to make it hurt, like spending hours at the gym or jogging a few miles a day. However, this isn’t true! If you are looking for an exercise that isn’t too taxing or difficult but has many, many benefits, try walking!
What are the benefits of walking?
Walking has so many benefits that once you start you may quickly wonder why you haven’t been doing it for years. The benefits include:
• It helps you to lose body fat and maintain a healthy weight and can even help to get rid of those love handles.
• It increases your energy level.
• It improves your cardiovascular fitness.
• It helps to prevent or manage conditions such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
• It strengthens bones and muscles and improves muscle endurance.
• It improves your balance and coordination.
• It strengthens your immune system.
• It helps to reduce stress.
• It improves your mood and your cognition.
• It can help you sleep better.
• It costs very little – all you need is a good pair of shoes (and maybe a way to listen to your favorite music or podcast).
• It gives you some “me” time – or, if you walk with a friend, it gives you some time to talk.
• It can be done no matter what the weather – on a cold day, head down to the mall to walk around, or consider investing in a treadmill for the spare room.
• It is also a boost to your mood and health to be out in the sunshine.
• You don’t have to go too far to see benefits – even a walk around the block is good for you.
• There is no wrong way to walk. You can take a brisk walk, a leisure walk, or alternate between the two. Whatever pace you go at you will see benefits.
There are so many benefits to taking a walk! However, if you find even the thought of exercise painful, it may be time to talk to your doctor. Contact Specialty Orthopaedics in Harrison, New York, for an appointment today. Call 914-686-0111!